Friday, May 23, 2008

A Rebirth Of Poker World Wide

For those of you who may have been here before, then hopefully the rebirth of Poker World Wide will be a welcome return. For those of you who haven't come across this blog before, welcome and please let me reintroduce myself.

For the past five years, I have written about poker. Over approximately 800 online articles, numerous magazine pieces (including Poker Player Newspaper, Woman Poker Player Magazine and TopPair Magazine), I have written about the people in the game, tournaments, offered my opinions on the game and many other topics. One thing that is consistent is that I often have an opinion on poker and am not afraid to share it!

With the introductions out of the way, one of the reasons for the "comeback" (if you want to call it that) is that currently I have no outlet for my writing. While I have been searching for another place to call home (after working with two prominent outlets), the poker media today is dwindling perhaps to a point we haven't seen prior to 2004. This makes it difficult for established writers who want to work daily or newcomers to get into the game. Still, I will attempt to plug along and hopefully will find another place to call home in the near future!

Now...on to the news of the day (OK, maybe the past few weeks!).

The World Series starts in a week and it will be a penultimate time for poker itself. With the current recession in the United States, exorbitant travel costs for players from outside the U. S. and the new 117-day delay on the WSOP Championship Event final table, anyone who can predict what will happen over the next six weeks should just step immediately to the sports book and bet the champions of major sports over the next year (they would make much more money!).

Will we see a drop off of epic proportions? Will we see an increase, as players throw caution to the wind and take their shots? Finally, how will the delay in the final table affect player participation? It all becomes a test of many aspects of the poker world and it is impossible to predict at this time what will happen.

In the future, I'll throw out my thoughts on the FT delay (trust me, I'm not fond of the idea, but there are logical reasons). I will also keep an eye on the action at the WSOP and other instances throughout poker. Hopefully you'll enjoy my return to my thoughts of the poker world and, most particularly at this time of the year, the WSOP.

No comments: