Friday, June 1, 2007

Lacking Excitement For The WSOP

The cards are flying, chips are clicking, murmured voices, shouts of victory or vanquish...all are going on now at the World Series of Poker, which started today. Yours truly has landed in...his couch in Austin, writing about action I am not seeing and depending on a smattering of two sentence statements to build a story.

That is easy enough...in fact, it is so easy that nearly anyone can do it. Which is the insult to someone, like myself, who has covered the poker world for quite some time now and, for reasons unknown, cannot be sitting there to be in on the biggest yearly event in poker.

I have gotten some folks who have commiserated with my position, and for that I thank them. But it still is something that bugs the recesses of my being that I CANNOT COVER IT LIVE. It still isn't done yet...there are things that are working and, potentially, I could at least make it there for the Main Event. However, there has been an announcement that there will be no audience for the Final Table, so that isn't very good.

However, I will do the best I can with what I am READING. I emphasize that point because, as I believe, you can only do the best job possible by actually seeing what is happening, talking to the people, friends and family surrounding the players and capturing the scene as it happens. I certainly wish that it was that way....

No comments: