Thursday, June 14, 2007

Tired Of The Bitching

I just wrapped up my writing for the day, the twelfth day of the World Series, and I thought it would be a good idea to roam around and check out some of the other work by bloggers who ARE actually sitting at the World Series of Poker, rather than sitting in their living room writing about it. Boy, am I disappointed.

I really get sick and tired of hearing people whine in their blogs about how "tough" it is to cover the WSOP. I had done it for the past two years and, if I had my way, I'd be doing it again this year. I also went through those twelve to sixteen hour days, the hassles of people (both associated with the event and otherwise), questionable eating habits, the sleep deprivation and everything that I am reading about this year. You know what...if you don't fucking love poker, then get the hell out of there and let those who do (and perhaps have more of a care about the game than you do) take your place. It would be better for those who read about the sport as well as the game itself.

Yes, I am still bitter about not being in Vegas for the WSOP this year. But I am also trying to make the best out of it. Those who gripe about having to be there, well, they shouldn't be. Go ahead and leave now and maybe those who actually give a fuck can take over the guardianship of portraying poker as well as possible.

I'm not saying sanitize what goes on at the WSOP. But there is a line between telling a story and trying to make everything more tawdry than it is. It takes a little more work to present a good story than to pander to the lowest common denominator and most aren't willing to make that little extra effort. And if you don't like what you are doing, then leave...no one's forcing you to stay there.

I have some ideas for media coverage that I am working into a concise plan and many in the industry probably will not like it. But if poker is to become a major entity (perhaps even a major sport?), then it is necessary to do some of the things I am thinking. I'll tell you more about them after that plan is finished and in the hands of the proper people.

With that said, have to congratulate Phil Hellmuth on #11. He was killing the final table, got up to a point at one time when he had more than the remaining three players had total, and charged to the championship. Doyle Brunson himself called Phil, "the greatest no limit tournament player ever"...don't think you can get higher praise than that.

No comments: